When I was little my grandad used to write my name on a tiny marrow in his garden. As the marrow grew, so did my name and I have always loved marrow ever since. Brilliant way of getting children to eat marrow!
This recipe is something I serve quite regularly. It is very forgiving on timings, you can add pretty much any veg you have in the freezer, it freezes beautifully, what more can I say 🙂
- 1 marrow – peeled, halved (length ways) and deseeded
- Soy mince – soaked in water
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 chopped courgettes
- 1 large mushroom
- 2 carrots
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (or ketchup)
- 1 tablespoon Italian Herbs
- Gently sauté onion, garlic, carrot and courgette in a little water for 5 mins. Then add all other ingredients (except marrow) and simmer for 20 mins.
- Put tin foil in a baking tray and put marrow on top. Fill marrow with stuffing (it doesn’t matter that there is way too much). Cover with foil and bake at gas mark 6, 180 degrees for at least an hour until the marrow is very soft (this will depend on the size of your marrow.
- Enjoy with mashed potatoes.